Quick write - an easy to implement educational tool to improve student engagement and learning outcomes.
A live 25' recording and slides from my 9/Mar/2019 presentation at the UofT Faculty Assoc. (UTFA) Challenges and Strengths II conference.
Quick write summary:
- A short written response to a question or prompt.
- Designed to spur creative or critical thinking though open-ended questioning.
- Inherently inclusive (everyone participates) and best used in a formative, reflective and interactive manner.
- Allows all individuals time to formulate their response.
- Can be used with planned and spontaneous questions.
- Generally, 2 or 3 questions are asked per hour of lecture and 2 minutes or so are provided to complete the paper-based/hand-written response before discussing the responses.
- Many variations possible including exit/entry tickets, group work, drawings and figures, calculations etc.